Chat with us, powered by LiveChat

The Sage On The Water Trout School is the ultimate educational course to improve an angler’s trout fishing. The school combines on-site instruction and education with on-the-water guided fishing, for a holistic approach to learning and improving your fly fishing for trout. The location – Sage Lodge in Paradise Valley, Montana – is paramount, offering easy access to several different fly fishing venues: the Yellowstone River, the famous Paradise Valley spring creeks, and Yellowstone National Park. Students will have guided fishing days in three distinct methods – from a drift boat, walk-and-wade fishing on a freestone river, walk-and-wade fishing on a spring creek – with location-specific instruction prior to each.

The School’s format is a mix of presentations and discussions, instruction, and guided fishing. Venue-specific educational modules prepare students for the following day’s instruction and fishing.

WHAT’S INCLUDED
The School includes 5 nights lodging at the Sage Lodge, and three meals per day (dinner upon arrival day and breakfast and lunch upon departure). One full day of instruction on-site is followed by three days of guided fishing. A Sage host will be on-site, as well as six Sage Ambassadors and Elite Pros who serve as the School’s instructors.

The School also includes access to Sage’s latest and greatest rods and reels, and RIO Products’ lines to match. We’ve curated the Perfect Setups for the three fly fishing venues – the Yellowstone River, Paradise Valley spring creeks and Yellowstone National Park. Students will fish different rod and reel models, depending on the fishing venue.

COMMUNITY
The School’s hosts and instructors are Sage Ambassadors, Elite Pros and staff, chosen specifically for this school. They bring decades of experience angling, guiding and instructing fly fishing around the world, and are intentionally a mix of Montana residents and national/international folks. The fishing guides are professional, experienced and licensed guides from Angler’s West fly shop, located just across the river from the Sage Lodge.

CURRICULUM
The curriculum is designed to take any angler’s skills to the next level, and teaches students to be prepared, comfortable and competent in nearly any trout fishing scenario. The School begins with a detailed, advanced overview of tackle, equipment and applications, followed by professional fly casting instruction, led by renowned instructor and Sage Ambassador Jon Cave. We’ll take a detailed look at trout-specific entomology and use that information to help you build your perfect fishing kit to take to the water. We’ll discuss essential knots, how best to tie them and when to use each. We’ll also present and discuss the best ways to land, handle and release trout. Next, students spend three days on the water with experienced guides. Prior to each guided fishing day, students attend educational sessions to prepare them for the following day’s fishing location and methods. As example, prior to a guided fishing day floating the Yellowstone River, a presentation will be given that covers topics specific to fishing from a drift boat, such as line management, casting angles, boat safety and etiquette, etc.

SAMPLE OF TOPICS COVERED:
• FLY FISHING TACKLE AND EQUIPMENT DESIGN AND APPLICATION
• FLY CASTING FOR DISTANCE, ACCURACY AND CONTROL
• READING WATER IN SMALL AND LARGE FREESTONES, AND SPRING CREEKS
• DRIFTS AND MENDING LINE FOR BETTER PRESENTATIONS
• BEST PRACTICES FOR HOOKING, FIGHTING AND LANDING AND RELEASING FISH
• TROUT FISHING ENTOMOLOGY
• HOW TO PUT TOGETHER YOUR PERFECT FISHING KIT/PACK/VEST
• THE KNOTS YOU NEED TO KNOW, HOW TO TIE THEM, AND WHEN TO USE THEM
• ADVANCED TACTICS AND TECHNIQUES FOR TROUT
• FLY FISHING ETHICS AND CONSERVATION

Each of the three fishing venues visited while at the On The Water School present anglers with a variety of fishing situations, and several different techniques are utilized. Having the right equipment to match the different tactics is paramount, so we’ve assembled the Perfect Setups that will be provided for use for each specific fishery.

Yellowstone River
The Yellowstone is the longest undammed river in the contiguous United States and its watershed is the source and stronghold of beautiful, native Yellowstone Cutthroat trout. Anglers staying at the Sage Lodge have easy access to over 50 miles of trout water on the Yellowstone, from Gardiner to east of Livingston. Fishing on the Yellowstone is done primarily out of drift boats, though there are ample opportunities to anchor and wade-fish productive riffle sections. Tactics and techniques on the Yellowstone vary, depending on timing. The height of summer shows anglers incredible dry fly fishing with hopper and terrestrial patterns; fall and spring will bring success on streamers; there are also localized mayfly hatches in spring and fall; pre-runoff caddis fishing can be excellent, and subsurface nymph or soft hackle fishing is productive most months.

Photo: @troybatzlerphoto

Yellowstone National Park
The National Park offers a lifetime of fly fishing. It is a wade-angler’s dream, from Memorial Day Weekend through October. The headwaters of some of the West’s famed rivers lie in the park – Yellowstone, Madison, Gallatin, Snake – as well as famous smaller waters like Slough and Soda Butte Creeks and the Firehole, Gibbon, Gardner and Lamar Rivers. Hatches occur in the National Park throughout the fishing season, though in the absence of bugs on the water, subsurface nymphing is also effective. Terrestrial dry fly fishing can be spectacular in summer and spring and fall are great times to fish streamers or swing soft hackles.

Paradise Valley Private Spring Creeks
The famed Paradise Valley Spring Creeks – DePuy’s, Armstrong’s and Nelson’s – are a short drive north from the Sage Lodge. The Spring Creeks offer year-round accessibility to challenging rainbow, brown and cutthroat trout. The settings are intimate, and anglers are rewarded for stealth and patience. The Creeks are bug factories, with the major hatches including Pale Morning Duns, Blue Wing Olives, Caddis, and midges. Sight-fishing is often the approach while on the Spring Creeks, and in a heavy hatch, the targets are numerous. A day or two on the Spring Creeks is a perfect complement to the bigger Yellowstone River and the freestones of Yellowstone National Park.

LODGE
Nestled in the heart of Paradise Valley and just 35 miles from Yellowstone National Park, Sage Lodge is an inspiring destination for outdoor enthusiasts and those seeking an escape to unspoiled and rejuvenating natural beauty. Looking out at the banks of the Yellowstone River and the majestic Emigrant Peak, the Lodge blends raw and rugged beauty with distinctive Montana hospitality. The Sage Lodge features 50 guestrooms, 34 in the main lodge and four stand-alone Ranch Houses with 4 suites each. Additional amenities include two restaurants and bars (The Grill and the Fireside Room), an onsite casting pond, and outdoor hot tubs and firepits.

On The Water Trout School students will stay in the Sage Lodge Ranch Houses which accommodate up to six, and include a shared kitchen plus indoor/outdoor common areas. The Ranch Houses are a wonderful setting for the school, as the common spaces are used for educational presentations and discussions and are also the perfect spot to share the day’s fishing report. Located a short walk away from the main lodge, the cabins offer a private, intimate setting for the schools while still having easy access to the lodge’s amenities.

LOGISTICS & BOOKING

DATES
SCHOOL 1: July 21st – 26th 2019
SCHOOL 2: August 11th – 16th, 2019
SCHOOL 3: September 29th – October 4th, 2019

• All students should arrive Sunday afternoon by 5:00 pm.
• School ends Friday morning by 12:00 pm.

OUTFITTING & GUIDE SERVICES THROUGH ANGLER’S WEST FLYFISHING OUTFITTERS, MATSON ROGERS. MT OUTFITTER LICENSE #5137, YNP CUA 14-208, GALLATIN-CUSTER NATIONAL FOREST PERMITTEE.

TRAVEL LOGISTICS
The Sage Lodge is located in Emigrant, Montana, a scenic, 60-minute drive from Bozeman International Airport. Airport transfers can be arranged.

PRICING
$4495 for a 5 night/4 day school package, per angler, based on double occupancy. $4995 for single occupancy.

Not Included: Airfare, airport transfers, rental car, gratuties, fishing licenses, alcohol, waders and boots.

BOOKING
You may submit an online inquiry and receive a call-back by following
this BOOK NOW link or for more information and booking, please contact:

Sage
Jesse Robbins, Sage Trout School Host
(206)780-8756
jrobbins@sageflyfish.com

Fly Water Travel
Charles Gehr, Rockies Destination Manager
(800) 522-2729
charles@flywatertravel.com