Jul 7th, 2020
We are pleased to announce the Bahamas Bonefish Schools at Andros South Lodge for the 2020-21 fishing season. This coming season there will be two week-long schools designed to help anglers of all abilities enhance their understanding and skill of saltwater flats fishing. Each of the schools will offer seven nights lodging, two half-day classes with two half-days out on the water, four full-days of guided fly fishing and optional, educational evening sessions each night.
For more information about Andros South Lodge click here.
Sample of topics covered:
● Saltwater fly casting concepts
● Fly presentation for bonefish
● Saltwater flats equipment overview and maintenance
● Saltwater fly selections
● Knots to know
● Reading the flats
● Communicating with your guide
● Best practices for hooking, fighting, landing, and releasing fish
● Fall School: November 15 – 22, 2020
● Spring School: March 14 – 21, 2021
The Fall School will be hosted by Jeremy Inman. Jeremy is a guide at Rapids Camp Lodge in Alaska and in the off-season he’s found guiding anglers for saltwater species on the Island of Oahu. Jeremy’s extensive guiding experience and knowledge of saltwater flats will make for amazing week of fishing in the Bahamas. In March, long-time Andros South host and and fishing guide from Asheville, NC, Walker Parrott will host the school. Walker is a Sage Elite Pro and travels multiples times every year to various angling destinations. Walker has been fishing with us at Andros South since 2008, bringing groups of anglers with him each season. With his many years of flats fishing experience and sparkling personality, it is sure to be an entertaining week of insightful tips and instruction.
The bonefish schools at Andros South Lodge are offered at no additional cost and are a great way to enhance your flats fishing skills while meeting other great anglers from around the world.
Rates & Details:
● Rate: $4,250 for Fall School or $5,200 for Spring School, plus taxes per person for a 7 night/6 day package
● Dates: November 15 – 22, 2020; March 14 – 21, 2021
● Included: Accommodations and meals at the lodge, beer/wine/hard alcohol, transfers between Congo Town airport and the lodge, all ground transportation on South Andros, guided fishing, a selection of flies and/or terminal tackle, Bahamas VAT tax.
● Not included: Airfare to/from Congo Town (South Andros Airport), clothing, staff and guide gratuities.
For more information, contact Fly Water Travel Pro Sales Manager Jesse Robbins at email@example.com or (800) 552-2729.
Tackle for bonefishing is straightforward, with the biggest variation being in the size of rod. Depending on conditions and angler preference, rod weights of 6 to 9 are employed, with an 8-weight being the most common and most versatile. Typically fast action rods are used, to help cut through the wind and turn over the weighted flies. Match this rod with a weight forward, floating fly line with a tropical water coating and an appropriately-sized, reliable, adjustable drag reel, and you are good to go. For leaders, tapered leaders of 9 to 12′ are great and a section of fluorocarbon on the end will complete the setup.
Fly Water Travel Favorite Bonefish Setup:
● Rod: 9′ 8-weight Sage SALT HD (890-4)
● Reel: Sage SPECTRUM MAX 7/8
● Line: RIO Products DirectCore Bonefish WF8F
● Leader: RIO Products Bonefish Leader, 10′ 16lb
● Tippet: RIO Products Saltwater Fluoroflex, 12 – 16 lb